Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Fog

Just a mile and a half from our home are the Bitterroot Mountains. As autumn covers the earth, the rich evergreens are mixed with the yellowing Tamarack trees, forming a puzzle-like pattern on the mountains. On clear mornings as I sip my morning tea at my kitchen table, I enjoy watching low-lying clouds lift into the deep blue sky just above the mountains.

Not so today. When I awoke, I could see that the entire valley was immersed in thick fog. Visibility was no further than 300 yards. It was a heavy, gray fog...as heavy as my heart when I think of death separating me from my precious baby in the near future. As I sat at my computer this morning, looking out the window, I thought about how I know with certainty that the mountains are just beyond the fog. I felt hemmed in, edgy, longing for the fog to lift and let in sunshine and a clear view of the mountains on the other side.

What a picture of life and faith. I know that once David leaves this life, he will be just beyond the veil of fog that separates us from heaven and eternity. Death is that foggy veil. I'm thankful that Jesus triumphed over death on the cross, and that one day, the fog will be gone forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment