Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Singing Jesus Loves Me and others sacred things

Tonight at bedtime, Rebecca and I sang "Jesus Loves Me" to David. I huddled over my belly in the dark as best I could, while Rebecca put her face next to my protruding stomach as we sang. Actually, the sweetest part of all was when Rebecca changed the words as we sang to: "Yes, Jesus loves David; yes, Jesus loves David; yes, Jesus loves David; the Bible tells me so." Leave it to Rebecca to think of something so sweet as that.

I must have sung that song a thousand times or more to Rebecca and Jonathan. Between now and when the Lord takes our precious son to heaven, I plan on singing every song and lullaby I can think of to the baby I will birth but can't keep...with the help of the daughter I wasn't privileged to birth or sing lullabies to until she was a year old. The irony is staggering. To think that of my three children, I've only had the privilege of being a Mommy to one of my children from birth to the age of one. (We adopted Rebecca at 11 1/2 months and have been blessed to have her since then.) Sigh. I have no words...only gratitude for each day during pregnancy that we have with David. A lifetime of love to squeeze into only months...if not for the promise of Heaven--with our David--we would have only despair. Hold your babies tight and cover them with kisses for the gift of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment