Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Something mildly comical

Bryan again. Yesterday was a rough day. The hardest part for me was to go to the spot in the cemetary where David's body will be buried. The grief was compounded seeing all of the other baby grave sites. Upon looking  at them, we noticed the grave of a young child that we knew several years ago that had suddenly died. Another sad moment was filling out the paperwork with the funeral director and having to write David's name down. We discussed the logistical information, and Heather later pre-registered at the hospital. The day passed, and it ended right on schedule. We don't have to live that day again. Yeah! Now that this is all out of the way, we can sit back and try to enjoy the remainder of the pregnacy and our time with David.

Now to the mildly amusing satire. While we were waiting in the funeral director's office our attention was drawn to several items that were on dispay for clients to consider for purchase. One of which happened to be a sequence of grave markers that showed how some people decide to have a caricature of their face put on the headstone. In short, the person (spouse or family member) who is arranging the funeral submits a photo to the person creating the headstone. A lithograph is created. This is used to cut the image of the person's face into the stone. My focus was drawn to the young model who was used to create the example. My mind, being as warped as it is, briefly shifted from my grief to the following thought process. I thought of her being introduced to a stranger at some kind of gathering. Over the course of conversation, the stranger asks her what she does for a living. She replies, "Why, I model headstones for a living." Now, where does the conversation go from there? Where can it go?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Bryan, you're sense of humor can be warped at times, but I'm grateful for you and the smiles you bring to my face. You are the most wonderful husband and are such a comfort to me during this hellish time. I am grateful for you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete